Below is an excellent compilation on depleted uranium. Several articles in the list are about the use of DU in the ocean including http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0109-02.htm
References below state the U.S. Navy has tested depleted uranium munitions in the ocean and on Vieques Island. It was also used heavily in Iraq.
(all links below have not been checked to see if they are still active)
Uranium Munitions = Depleted Uranium
half life of 4.5 billion years *
What is depleted uranium? Natural uranium ore from the mine goes through an enrichment process designed to separate uranium 235 (U-235), the isotope used for nuclear weapons and nuclear reactors, from uranium 238 (U-238), a low-level radioactive by-product. The highly radioactive isotope U-235 accounts for less than 1% of mined uranium; nearly all the rest is U-238.
The vast quantity of highly toxic metal (U-238) generated by this process is called “depleted uranium” or “DU.” DU emits primarily alpha radiation, and its half-life is thought to be about the age of the Earth, or 4.5 billion years. DU is approximately 2.5 times denser than iron and 1.7 times denser than lead. This high specific gravity means that, as a projectile fired from a tank or aircraft, it carries enough kinetic energy to blast through the tough armor of a tank. Furthermore, the impact of this penetration generates extreme heat. DU is pyrophoric, meaning that it burns on impact and can set the target on fire. DU is easy to process and endless quantities can be obtained free from the Department of Energy (DOE), which controls DU and considers its use in munitions to be “utilization of waste material.” Retrieved 08/11/04 http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/abom/uran/special/index2.html
As U-238 breaks down, an ongoing process, it creates protactinium-234, which radiates potent beta particles that may cause cancer as well as mutations in body cells that could lead to birth defects.
When a depleted uranium round hits a hard target, as much as 70 percent of the projectile can burn on impact, creating a firestorm of depleted uranium particles. The toxic residue of this firestorm is an extremely fine insoluble uranium dust that can be spread by the wind, inhaled and absorbed into the human body and absorbed by plants and animals, becoming part of the food chain. Once in the soil, it can pollute the environment and create up to a hundredfold increase in uranium levels in ground water, according to the U.N. Environmental Program. Retrieved 08/12/04 http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/iraq2002/133581_du04.html
The United States military has never confronted an opponent that used depleted uranium. Most exposure to American military personnel has been a result of fire from their own forces. MATTHEW L. WALD The New York Times Oct 19, 2004
Vets Exposed to Radiation Lose Ruling August 29, 2006 In a quiet ruling that nonetheless resonates nationwide, a federal appellate court rejected efforts by Broudy and others seeking claims on behalf of “atomic veterans.” The same court simultaneously rejected bids by other veterans exposed to biological and chemical agents.
Victory in Washington State: Washington State’s DU Bill in the Final Budget
House Passes McDermott Deleted Uranium Study Amendment The House passed legislation that includes an amendment by Rep. Jim McDermott ordering a comprehensive study on possible health effects from exposure to depleted uranium on U.S. soldiers and their children. 5/11/2006
Possible Depleted Uranium Health Effects on Soldiers Will Be Studied
After years of relentless and unwavering efforts, including speeches, interviews, news conferences, working with groups like Physicians for Social Responsibility, and even appearing on a punk rock album by AntiFlag, Rep. Jim McDermott (WA–D) ordered a comprehensive study on possible health effects from exposure to depleted uranium on U.S. soldiers and their children. The House of Representative passed McDermott’s amendment on May 11, 2006.
Watch this floor speech.
[ Click here to get Windows Media Player]
“As long and winding as the road has been to get where we are today, this is only the beginningbut this is a great day because we have taken the first step to defend the U.S. soldiers who protect and defend us,” McDermott said.
Shortly after passage, Rep. McDermott received a letter from James King, the national executive director of AMVETS, the American Veterans organization:
“This is a very important issue for AMVETS and its membership. Our ultimate goal is to provide atomic veterans with the tools necessary to file a claim and be considered for due compensation. Your amendment will help begin this process.
Again, thank you for your amendment and your support of veterans and their families.”
Rep. McDermott has spent several years working to get the House to study DU. He explained the reason behind his passionate advocacy for the issue in this way:
“For me, this is a personal, not political, quest. My professional life turned from medicine to politics after my service in the U.S. Navy during the 1960s, when I treated combat soldiers returning from Vietnam.
“Back then, the Pentagon denied that Agent Orange posed any danger to U.S. soldiers who were exposed. Decades later, the truth finally emerged. Agent Orange harmed our soldiers. It made thousands sick and some died. During all those years of denial, we stood by and did nothing while soldiers suffered. No more Agent Orange!
“If DU poses no danger, we need to prove it with statistically valid, and independent scientific studies. If DU harms our soldiers, we all need to know it, and act quickly as any doctor would, to use all of our power to heal the sick. We owe our soldiers a full measure of the truth, wherever that leads us.”
The amendment to undertake a comprehensive study of possible health effects to soldiers from exposure to depleted uranium was contained in the Department of Defense Authorization Bill, which passed the House on Thursday evening.
Depleted uranium is a by-product of the uranium enrichment process. Because it is very dense, the U.S. military uses DU for munitions like armor-piercing bullets and tank shells, and as a protective shield around tanks. When used in munitions, DU pulverizes into a fine dust upon impact; it can hang in the air, be inhaled, or seep into the soil.
During the Gulf War, the U.S. military used approximately 300 metric tons of DU as munitions. To date in the Iraq War, approximately 150 metric tons have been used. During conflicts in Bosnia, Kosovo, Serbia, and Montenegro, about 12 metric tons were used. (A metric ton is slightly more than 2,200 pounds.)
In addition to its own use, the United States has provided or sold DU and DU munitions to several other nations.
Revision date: May 16, 2006
- Action Guide Depleted Uranium/Gulf War Syndrome http://www.iacenter.org/images/du_snafu.pdf
- A death sentence here and abroad – Depleted uranium: Dirty bombs, dirty missiles, dirty bullets by Leuren Moret http://www.sfbayview.com/081804/Depleteduranium081804.shtml
- A Two Part Warning to the Citizens for the World: “Do Not Use Depleted Uranium Munitions Again” http://www.downwinders.org/rokke.htm
- American Free Press four-part series on DU by Christopher Bollyn. Part I: “Depleted Uranium: U.S. Commits War Crime Against Iraq, Humanity,” www.americanfreepress.net/depleted_uranium.html; Part II: “Cancer Epidemic Caused by U.S. WMD: MD Says Depleted Uranium Definitively Linked,” www.americanfreepress.net/html/cancer_epidemic_.html
- Another US war crime: the use of depleted uranium munitions in Iraq http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/may2003/depu-m29.shtml
- Article by Helen Caldicott http://www.savewarchildren.org/Text/caldicott.htm
- At Hunters Point Shipyard, cyclotron smashed atoms where Lennar wants to build homes Dennis Kyne
- Bibliography: Miliary Use of Depleted Uranium http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/dlit.html
- Contamination of Persian Gulf War Veterans and Others by Depleted Uranium http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/dfac.html
- Chris Busby on Uranium Contamination http://www.traprockpeace.org/chris_busby_08may04.html
- Current Issues – Depleted Uranium Weapons in the Gulf Wars (1991, 2003) http://www.wise-uranium.org/dissgw.html
- Dan Fahey Document Library http://www.danfahey.com/
- Death By Slow Burn: How America Nukes Its Own Troops http://proliberty.com/observer/20030401.htm
- Department of Transportation rules against secret shipments of radioactive munitions by the Department of Defense June 8, 2005 Ground Zero Center for Nonviolent Action http://www.gzcenter.org/DOT%20rules%20against%20secret%20radioactive%20shipments.htm
- Depleted Uranium from Proposed Enrichment Plant Risks Long-Term Violation of Health and Environmental Standards http://www.ieer.org/reports/du/LESprfeb05.html May Become Multi-Billion Dollar Taxpayer Liability Press release | Report [PDF, 398 kB] February 23, 2005
- Depleted Uranium Webpage Links http://www.llrc.org/du/duframes.htm from the Low Level Radiation Campaign
- Depleted Uranium and Health (PDF file) Glen Lawrence, Ph.D. Essential information for soldiers and civilians who are at risk for uranium contamination in areas where DU munitions have been used. http://www.traprockpeace.org/du_health.pdf
- Depleted Uranium: Cause and Effect http://criticalconcern.com/depleted_uranium_cause_effect.htm
- Depleted Uranium: Devastation at Home and Abroad by Leuren Moret http://www.savewarchildren.org/Text/Moret.htm
- Depleted uranium: Dirty bombs, dirty missiles, dirty bullets http://www.sfbayview.com/081804/Depleteduranium081804.shtml by Leuren Moret
- Depleted Uranium Education Project http://www.iacenter.org/depleted/du.htm
- Depleted Uranium: The Real Dirty Bombs http://www.rense.com/general56/dep.htm By Christopher Bollyn
- Depleted Uranium: Trojan Horse of Nuclear War Leuren Moret http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2004/DU-Trojan-Horse1jul04.htm Depleted Uranium Munitions – A Weapon of Mass Destruction http://www.iraqjournal.org/journals/030330.html
- Depleted Uranium Follow-Up Program Veterans Health Administration http://www.vethealth.cio.med.va.gov/DUProgram.htm
- Depleted Uranium Kills : A Death By Slow Burn http://www.barremore.net/depleted-uranium-kills.html
- Depleted Uranium Special http://www.writers-against-war.org/public/depleted-uranium.html [Graphic]
- Depleted Uranium – The Stone Unturned http://www.nuclearfiles.org/redocuments/1997/970328-plowshares.html
- Depleted Uranium Munitions http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/iwpList136/3105566F330BC2ECC1256B66005F8843
- Depleted Uranium Munitions: The Use of Radiological Weapons as a Violation of Human Rights http://hlp.home.igc.org/docs/depleteduranium.htm
Depleted Uranium http://traprockpeace.org/depleted_uranium_hamburg03.html#veterans ‘Depleted’ Uranium and Health Glen Lawrence, Ph.D. http://www.traprockpeace.org/du_health.pdf
- Depleted Uranium Coming Home To Roost – Dillon Bill In Connecticut Legislature by Sepp Hasslberger http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2005/02/13/depleted_uranium_coming_home_to_roost_dillon_bill_in_conn_legislature.htm
- Depleted Uranium from Proposed New Mexico Enrichment Plant May Become Multi-Billion Dollar Taxpayer Liability without a Hefty Financial Guarantee http://www.ieer.org/reports/du/LESprfeb05.html
- Depleted Uranium Munitions Study Act (Introduced in House) H.R. 2410 Rep. Jim McDermott http://criticalconcern.com/hr_2410.htm
- Depleted Uranium Released During Canadian Plane Crash http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/depleted_uranium.html
- Depleted Uranium Situation Requires Action By President Bush and Prime Minister Blair – -Doug Rokke,Ph.D http://www.traprockpeace.org/doug_rokke_12july04.html
- Depleted Uranium (DU) weapons fired by U.S. Navy on Washington coast Jan 7, 2003 http://www.nukewatch.com/du/20030107gz.html
- Depleted Uranium:Wonder Weapon or Toxic Hazard? http://www.citizen-soldier.org/CS09-uranium.html
- A description of DU
- Despite Continued Threats, DU Expert Pushes On Dr. Asaf Durakovic, undeterred by death threats and harassment over the past year, continues his fight to break the “conspiracy of silence” surrounding depleted uranium. By Brian Ohkubo Covert, Independent Journalist Thursday, May. 12, 2005.
- Discounted Casualties – the human cost of depleted uranium http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/abom/uran/special/index2.html
- “The Doctors, the Depleted Uranium, and the Dying Children” http://www.traprockpeace.org/depleted_uranium_iraq.html German television production (available here as VHS video), shows the US has used radioactive bombs in the current war against Iraq.
- Dr. George Hill Speaks Out on Depleted Uranium Not all physicians agree with the Physician for Social Responsibility report on Depleted Uranium. http://www.criticalconcern.com/dr_hill-on-DU.htm Read Dr. Hill’s letter to the PSR (.doc)
- Dr. George Hill Testimony on the SB6732DU Bill http://www.criticalconcern.com/george_hill_testimony_on_du_bill.htm (New)
- Don’t drink the water by Dennis Kyne http://www.sfbayview.com/033005/dontdrink033005.shtml
- DU Death Toll Tops 11,000 http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/du_death_toll.html
- DU – Health Concerns (Military) http://www.deploymentlink.osd.mil/du_library/health.shtml
- DU Library: Depleted Uranium Information Page (Govt) http://lii.org/search?goto=024062
- DU Munitions in Okinawa http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/abom/uran/okinawa_e/index.html
- DU Watch – a source for all kinds of DU information http://www.stopnato.org.uk/du-watch/index.htm
- DU – Hysteria or Real Health Threat? by Judy Blyth
- Effects of Depleted Uranium by Admiral Vishnu Bhagwat, India http://www.thepowerhour.com/articles/du_effects.htm
- Evidence Mounts that Gulf War Syndrome is Related to the Use of Depleted Uranium Shells by NATO http://www.jacksonprogressive.com/issues/kosovo/balkansyndrome010701.html
- Exposing The Myth Of The ‘Casualty-Free War’: Gulf War Syndrome http://www.americanfreepress.net/11_04_02/EXPOSING_THE_MYTH_/exposing_the_myth_.html
- Fact Sheet on Depleted Uranium U.S. Department of State http://www.usembassy.hu/docs/uranium.htm
- Former Head Of Pentagon’s Depleted Uranium Project Says Thousands Of Troops Are Sick And Dying From Illegal DU Use And Military’s Failure To Admit Responsibility http://www.arcticbeacon.com/articles/article/1518131/31934.htm
- German language DU Website http://www.uranmunition.de/
- Gulf War Syndrome – Depleted Uranium http://www.gulfwarvets.com/du.htm by American Gulf War Veterans
- The Gulf War Battlefield Still “Hot” with Depleted Uranium by Scott Peterson http://www.merip.org/mer/mer211/211_peterson.html
- The Fabulous Factsheet File http://www.ieer.org/fctsheet/index.html Is uranium hazardous? What is plutonium? Find out here.
- Heads Roll At The Veterans Administration: Mushrooming Depleted Uranium (DU) Scandal Blamed http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_15334.shtml
- Health and Environmental Effects of ‘Depleted’ Uranium Diane Hensel, Ph.D. http://www.traprockpeace.org/diane_henshel.html
- Health hazards of depleted uranium munitions http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/policy/cur_du.htm
- Horror of USA’s depleted Uranium http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article.php/20050429121615724
- If Depleted Uranium is Safe, Let Them Prove It Congressman Jim McDermott May 11, 2005 http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/sp050517.shtml
- Immediate Action Required on Depleted Uranium (a primer for the beginner) By Doug Rokke, Ph.D. http://www.axisoflogic.com/cgi-bin/exec/view.pl?archive=137&num=16946
- International Action Center http://www.iacenter.org/
- International Depleted Uranium Study Team http://www.idust.net/
- Italian soldiers have died thus far due to exposure to depleted uranium http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?doc=200410191947-1213-RT1-CRO-0-NF11&page=0&id=agionline-eng.oggitalia
- Japan may be Next Victim of Depleted Uranium in Iraq, Claims DU Expert http://japan.indymedia.org/newswire/display/1317/index.php
- Letter from Leuren Moret to Congressman McDermott http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/Leuren-Moret-Gen-Groves21feb03.htm
- Louisiana – 1st State to Pass DU Bill http://www.criticalconcern.com/Louisiana_DU_Bill.htm
- Low Level Radiation Campaign http://www.llrc.org/ Researching the low level effects of ionising radiation
- “Marin Depleted Uranium Resolution Heats Up – GI’s Will Come Home To A Slow Death,” August 2004 Coastal Post Online. Carol Sterrit: www.coastalpost.com/04/08/01
- Military Toxics Project http://www.miltoxproj.org/
- National Gulf War Resource Centre http://www.ngwrc.org/Issues.cfm?NewsTopicID=8
- Nationwide campaign against secret shipments of radioactive ammunition announced Nov 21, 2003 http://www.gzcenter.org/NavyDU.htm
- Ode To Nuha – US Depleted Uranium Takes Another http://www.rense.com/general57/urani.htm By Rana El-Khatib
- Our Tools of War, Turned Blindly Against Ourselves – Rob Nixon http://chronicle.com/weekly/v51/i24/24b00701.htm
- The Queen’s Death Star – Depleted Uranium -Measured in British Atmosphere From Battlefields in the Middle East Leuren Moret http://www.venusproject.com/ethics_in_action/Depleted_Uranium_British.html new
- Radioactive Tank No. 9 comes limping home by Bob Nichols http://www.sfbayview.com/110905/radioactivetank110905.shtml
- Radioactive Wounds of War http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/082605A.shtml
- Remains of Toxic Bullets Litter Iraq http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0515/p01s02-woiq.html
- Research Report Summaries on Depleted Uranium from 1974-1999, conducted at National Laboratories and military labs. http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/du_ii/du_ii_tabl1.htm#TAB%20L_Research%20Report%20Summaries
- Science of Science Fiction? Facts, Myths and Propaganda In The Debate Over Depleted Uranium Weapons http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/pdf/dumyths.pdf
- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y. demands that all veterans of Iraq get checked. Dr. Asaf Durakovic, a former Army doctor and nuclear medicine expert who examined and tested the nine men at The News’ request, concluded four of them “almost certainly” inhaled radioactive dust from exploded depleted uranium shells fired by U.S. troops. http://www.nydailynews.com/04-05-2004/news/story/180644p-156921c.html
- Soldier’s new mission is exposing risk of depleted uranium http://www.postindependent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040815/VALLEYNEWS/108150002&rs=2 Glenwood Spring CO article on Dennis Kyne
- The “Dump Nuclear” Campaign to persuade the UK Government that they should drop this expensive, dangerous and outdated technology. http://www.dumpnuclear.org
- The Hazard Posed by Depleted Uranium Munitions http://www.puaf.umd.edu/faculty/papers/fetter/sags-du.pdf
- Heads roll at Veterans Administration Mushrooming depleted uranium (DU) scandal blamed http://www.sfbayview.com/012605/headsroll012605.shtml
- Karen Parker: Fighting to stop the use of illegal weapons http://www.awakenedwoman.com/karen_parker.htm
- The International Coalition to Ban Uranium Weapons http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/
- The Laka Foundation is a documentation and research centre on nuclear energy. It has a good online library section on depleted uranium http://www.laka.org/indexeng.html
- The National Online – Depleted Uranium – The Silver Bullet http://www.tv.cbc.ca/national/pgminfo/du/index.html
- Nuclear Information and Resource Service & World Information Service on Energy http://www.nirs.org/
- The War Against Ourselves: An Interview with Major Doug Rokke http://www.futurenet.org/25environmentandhealth/rokke.htm
- Research Report Summaries on Depleted Uranium from 1974-1999, conducted at National Laboratories and military labs
- Toxic ammo is tested in fish areas – U.S. Navy uses depleted uranium in coast waters; activists may go to court http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/103402_fife09.shtml?searchpagefrom=1&searchdiff=795 (dead link)
- The Tail of a Bullet – The Depleted Uranium Issue Christian Science Monitor
- The Tiny Victims of Desert Storm like a growing number of Gulf War veterans, some of whom remain apparently healthy, he has fathered a child with devastating birth defects. http://www.life.com/Life/essay/gulfwar/gulf01.html
- Troops In Iraq Will Once Again Be Exposed To Deadly Chemicals Congressman Jim. McDermott Mar 5, 2003 “I was in Iraq in 1991, and I was there again this year; and the evidence is overwhelming of the impact of what Iraq has suffered from depleted uranium and what we, the United States, are about to suffer.” http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/sp030305b.shtml
- The United States Used Depleted Uranium (DU) Weapons in Iraq www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=15&q=http://www.sumeria.net/politics/duweapons.html&e=747
- Uranium Medical Research Centre http://www.umrc.net/ Current and recent developments, published research, conference proceedings, reports
- Uranium Wars: The Pentagon Steps Up its Use of Radioactive Munitions http://www.cursor.org/stories/uranium.htm
- US Military, President Out of Control — What Does “Mildly Radioactive” Mean, Anyway? By Bob Nichols, Project Censored Award Winner http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_15814.shtml
- U.S. use of depleted uranium under fire – KING5 Video 11/11/04 http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_111104WABdepleteduraniumSW.49604608.html
- US says Pacific arms tests use depleted uranium http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/19387/story.htm
- U.S. Radiation Sites WA http://www.prop1.org/prop1/radiated/wa0rept.htm
- U.S. Army Training Video on Depleted Uranium Our military refuses to show this training film to our troops in Iraq http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3581.htm or http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1/DU-A28K.WMV
- Use of DU: A Crime Against Humanity by Doug Rokke
- Use of Depleted Uranium Weapons Lingers as Health Concern http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0804-04.htm
- WAC 246-233-010 General licenses — Source material http://www.leg.wa.gov/WAC/index.cfm?section=246-233-010&fuseaction=section
- WAC 246-235-091 Manufacture and distribution of industrial products containing depleted uranium under general license http://www.leg.wa.gov/WAC/index.cfm?section=246-235-091&fuseaction=section
- Warning of Toxic Aftermath from Uranium Munitions
- Veterans for Peace Workshop on DU (radioactive munitions), Boston, July 23, 2004 http://www.traprockpeace.org/vfp_du_july04/ http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0722-03.htm
- Warning of Toxic Aftermath from Uranium Munitions http://www.truthout.com/docs_03/072303I.shtml
- Warning of uranium contamination risks to NGO staff, Coalition forces, foreign contract personnel and civilians in Iraq http://www.umrc.net/UMRC_bulletin_07_Feb_2004.asp
- War’s Littlest Victim http://www.nydailynews.com/front/v-pfriendly/story/236934p-203326c.html
- War’s Unintended Effects: Use of Depleted Uranium Weapons Lingers as Health Concern http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/iraq2002/133581_du04.html
- Weapons of Mass Deception: What the Pentagon Doesn’t Want Us To Know About Depleted Uranium http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/062903H.shtml
- Weapons Dust Worries Iraqis http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1101-01.htm
- Weapons of Self Destruction – Is Gulf War syndrome – possibly caused by Pentagon ammunition – taking its toll on G.I.’s in Iraq? www.vanityfair.com/commentary/content/articles/041115roco04
- What does the US know about DU? – Leuren Moret http://www.traprockpeace.org/moret_25nov03.pdf
- What does depleted mean in depleted uranium (DU)? Secondly, is the DU in DU rounds (ammunition) considered naturally occurring radioactive material? Health Physic Society. http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q1281.html
- What happened to the test tube paradigm? Dennis Kyne http://www.sfbayview.com/020905/whathappened020905.shtml
- WISE Uranium Project – Depleted Uranium http://www.wise-uranium.org/indexd.html
- WHO Blocked Depleted Uranium Study by Sepp Hasslberger
- Why are Depleted Uranium Munitions a Local Issue? October 16 at the Public Park across from the entrance to Naval Magazine Indian Island. Douglas Milholland, Port Townsend. http://www.criticalconcern.com/Why_are_Depleted_Uranium_Munitions_a_Local_Issue.htm Press Conference Saturday,
- World Depleted Uranium Weapons Conference, Hamburg, Germany, October 16-19, 2004: www.worlduraniumweaponsconference.de/speakers/speakers.htm
- World Information Service on Energy http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/#DU
- World is blind to real situation in Iraq: activists OSAKA — An Iraqi journalist and a Japanese human rights activist said the public has a poor idea of the situation in Iraq and warned of an impending health catastrophe as more Iraqis contract cancer from exposure to depleted uranium shells used by the U.S. and Britain. http://www.bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=12101
- World Uranium Weapons Conference http://www.traprockpeace.org/depleted_uranium_hamburg03.html
* This means that it will go releasing ionizing radiation into the environment, essentially forever. After the Gulf War DU remained suspended in the air above Kuwait City for two years.
“The Doctors, the Depleted Uranium and the Dying Children”
A stunning new video made for German television shows the use and impact of radioactive uranium weapons during the current Iraq War. Veterans, military families, activists and interested individuals can now order this documentary with English narration for non-commercial use, through the website for Traprock Peace Center, a not-for-profit peace education center, at www.traprockpeace.org . This documentary, written by Freider Wagner and Valentin Thurn, provides commentary by British veterans about the harm uranium exposure has caused in their off-spring. Canadian, German and Iraqi physicians and researchers discuss their findings, including samples gathered at an Iraqi TV station that indicate the US probably has used uranium and nuclear reactor wastes in bunker-busting bombs, since U236 was detected in debris gathered there.
To purchase “The Doctors, the Depleted Uranium, and the Dying Children” (VHS NTSC format) go to http://www.traprockpeace.org/depleted_uranium_iraq.html
The purchase price is $25.00 for non-commercial, non-institutional use and includes first class mail within the US.
(If you require expedited shipping, please call Traprock at 413-773-7427 as the shipping rates will vary.)
October 18, 2003 Interview (mp3) with Professors Gunther, back from visits to Iraq hospitals, and Schott (on chromosomal damage.)
World Uranium Weapons Conference
Oct 16-19 – University of Hamburg, Germany
NEW International conference reader is now available for free downloads as pdf files. Many thanks to conference organizers for making this amazing resource available for download. It sold as a book during 2004. (see photo at left).
Download reader sections:
Introduction: Dedication to Yalim Yacoub; Editor’s Notes; Index; Forward; Conference Schedule; Opening Remarks by organizers David Kraft, Nuclear Engergy Information Service; Marion Küpker, Conference Coordinator; and Dai Williams, independent weapons researcher. (pages 1-18 – pdf)
Science Panel: Presentations or papers by: Professor Yagasaki Katsuma, Japan; Chris Busby, Ph.D., UK; Dr. Souad Al-Azzawi, Iraq; Dr. Jawad Al-Ali, Iraq; Dr. Jenan Hassan, Iraq; Heike Schröder, molecular biologist, FRG; Professor Siegwart-Horst Günther, FRG; Dr. Eisuke Matsui, Japan; Professor Al-Aboudi Kadhum, Algeria; Professor Yuri Bandashevsky (article on his imprisonment in Belarus); Professor Huda Ammash, Iraq; Professor Alim Yacoub, Iraq. (pages 19-83 – pdf)
Depleted Uranium Video by Dennis Kyne 12 minutes free video by Dennis Kyne.
Poison Dust Poison DUst tells the story of three young men from New York who could not get answers for their mysterious ailments after their National Guard unit’s 2003 tour of duty in Iraq. A mother reveals her fears about the extent of her child’s birth defects and the growing disability of her young husband – a vet. © 2005, DVD 84 min. (with modular chapters): $20; 28 and 57 min. versions: $20; 10 min. versions: $10 — Call 212-633-6646 or order online at leftbooks.com
States with DU Bills Pending
http://www.traprockpeace.org/ct_bill_7502.html Connecticut Bill No. 7502 DU Bill
http://www.traprockpeace.org/la_hb_570.pdf Louisiana DU Bill passed
Not everyone believes that DU exposure is harmful to humans. Certainly the Administration that claimed there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, wants us to believe that DU is harmless. Below is the beginning of articles that express differing opinions from those above.
- Traprock Peace Center & Doug Rokke Mislead Public on Depleted Uranium by Robert Holloway http://www.ntanet.net/traprock.html
- White House statement on “depleted uranium scare”
- Danger From Depleted Uranium Is Found Low in Pentagon Study http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/19/politics/19uranium.html By MATTHEW L. WALD. [form your own opinion.]
Sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life: he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web he does to himself. All things are connected like the blood which unites one family. All things are connected. Contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste.” — Chief Seattle (1786 – 1866, leader of the Suquamish and Duwamish peoples, Washington State) Chief Seattle, “This Earth is Precious,” produced by Van Brink and Associates, 1989.